So I went to this game on Saturday.
Picture taken from UM Website
Annnnd it was awesome. Very rarely does something meet all my expectations. Either I expect something to be horrible and then it exceeds the expectations, or I expect greatness and then it inevitably disappoints. I was sick as a dog [still am], and got to go with two of my best friends and Miss Thang. It was the first legit college football game I think I've ever been to, apologies to Oberlin and Towson.
Things that happened:
- A backup running back absolutely torched the Terrapins, which shouldn't have happened because if they had thrown the ball even a little, their offense wouldn't have bogged it up in the second half.
- The alumni band were just as geeked as the actual band and we were sitting with/behind them. Ver' cool.
- The crowd did their signature taunt more than twice, which is the theoretical limit imposed by the NCAA. Perhaps because it was homecoming. To the tune of Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll" and it's something along the lines of:
- DUH-DAH-DUH-DUHHHH-DAH...HE-EY! YOU SUCK! DUH-DAH-DUH-DUHHHH-DAH...HE-EY! YOU SUCK!
DUH-DAH-DUH-DUHHHH-DAH...HE-EY! YOU SUCK! WE'RE GONNA BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU...
- Testudo looks pretty much like he does in NCAA 07.
- Maryland girls: Uh, yeah. Go to a liberal arts school, kids.
- The food was not horrible, just expensive. Plus my girlfriend can't eat bread, so I got some looks for happily scarfing down her, um, buns. [From her hot dog.]
A few surprises:
- Homophobia is the new cheering for your team. "What are you gonna do, fight me? You're 30 years old, you fuckin' homo. [rpt. 3x]."
- College marching bands are really, really good. I didn't actually realize this, but Maryland, which wouldn't even be ranked if there were band rankings, was awesome.
- The "asshole" chant at opposing fans still feels familiar. It's like putting on an old coat. I thought all this progressive living had made me soft.
All in all a great experience. Viva college football!